- DURATION: 10 Days
- STARTING LEVEL: PADI Divemaster or equivalent certification
- OPTIONS: Accommodation, PADI Materials & Fees Included
Karibu (Welcome) to East Africa for your journey to scuba diving instructor. The PADI IDC with PADI Course Directors Bruce Phillips and Mark Slingo is an intense 2 week course that provides the essential training for you to make that transition from instructional assistant to Instructor. Mark and the IDC Staff are extremely experienced with the PADI Instructor Development process and looking forward to working with you in making you into a great instructor.
The IDC we run is a 10 Day IDC with a 3 day IDC Preparation course. Unlike other IDC courses run around the world which only meet the PADI minimum time of 7 days we believe in giving you enough time for practice and repetition as well as going through at a more relaxed pace. Remember we believe that you are not here just to pass an IDC/IE but to become a top-notch instructor as well.
The IDC is a 10 day course consisting of 2 sections. The Assistant Instructor (AI) Course and the Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) Course.
The course basically consists of presentations from the PADI Course Director and the IDC Staff Instructors on the PADI System and learning how to be an instructor, with examinations of all of the components of the PADI educational model. Our instruction development tam will teach you to use PADI Standards and all of the PADI tools to maximum effectiveness and how to prepare presentations for teaching.
Dive Theory Exams
You will have on the IDC Dive Theory Exams very similar to the exams completed during the PADI Divemaster course. They 5 exam categories are:: Physics, Physiology, Dive Skills & The Environment, Equipment, and Decompression Theory and the Recreational Dive Planner.
PADI Standards Exams
The stadards exam is an evaluation of your ability to understand the workings of the PADI Instructor manual and the way to use PADI General Standards & Procedures. This is an Open book exam which our staff will endevour to throroughly prepare you for
Divemaster Skill circuit
This is a run over of your 20 skill circuit from the Divemaster course to make sure that your skills are up to a demonstration quality now to make the transition from assistant to instructor. This will be done in the pool early in the IDC.
Knowledge Development Teaching Presentations
Another component is your own classroom teaching presentations when you will give prescriptive and micro teaching presentations to the Course Director or IDC Staff who will give you positive feedback and ways to improve. You will have a number of attempts at this so feel free to make mistakes as you can learn from mistakes. The idea of the IDC is to provide you with the learning environment to get ready for the IE.
Confined Water Teaching Presentations
You will on the IDC be taught and give teaching presentationsto the staff on skills from parts of the PADI Open Water Course, PADI Adventures in Diving Course and PADI Rescue Diver Course in the pool. This is to prepare you for actually teaching in confined water when you are an instructor and for your teaching presentation on the IE. You again will have a number of attempts at this to get the passing grade and prepare you for the IE so again don’t be afraid of making mistakes. You are here to learn so relax.
Open Water Teaching Presentations
The final grading criteria of the IDC and IE, is the Open Water teaching presentation. After demonstrations initially from the staff explaining the format, we will be out on the boat for the Open Water days when you will give teaching presentations to the staff as an instructor.
THIS MIGHT SEEM LIKE A LOT BUT IT IS A REALLY INTERESTING COURSE AND REWARDING IN THE TRANSITION YOU WILL MAKE DURING IT. RELAX AND COME AND JOIN US ON THE IDC
IDC Accommodation 14 nights available- Dormitory-€350 Private Room-€420
* Specialty Instructor ratings exclude Specialty Instructor Application Fee (25 euro/specialty)
** IDC Toolkit includes: Measuring tape, Pocket Mask, John line, pocket mask, calculator, knot tying rope, clipboard, pens, sticky paper, note pad and some sweeties
*** PADI Materials include IDC Crewpack and EFR Instructor and Care for Children Student Manual
**** If opting to pay the PADI Fees directly to PADI these must be paid before entering a PADI IE.
Contact Us for current PADI fees and payment details
• Be at least a PADI Divemaster or equivalent rating
• A current Dive Medical (click to download)
• EFR Instructor (Provided as part of the Package
• Appropriate visa to last the duration of the entire program
• Have been a certified diver for at least 6 months and logged at least 60 dives (AI and IDC requirement) and have documentation of experience in deep, night and navigation diving. (To attend an IE, the instructor candidate must have at least 100 logged dives.)
What is the best way to prepare for an IDC
• Meet the all of the IDC Prerequisites• Check that you have all of your certification details. Bring all of you certification cards with you to the IDC. If you do not have all of your certification cards then contact PADI to confirm certification numbers and details. If you have any certifications from organisations other than PADI then please photocopy both sides of the certification cards and bring the cards with you as PADI will need these copies to verify your existing credentials.
• Make sure that you have a visa to be in Kenya for the duration of your course.
• Make sure you have and get acquainted with the required materials such as the instructor Manual and teaching slates. This will be helpful to you in preparing for your teaching presentations and the Standards Exams. For a full list of the required materials click here.
• If you are choosing the eLearning option then complete the required online IDC presentations prior to the IDC and reveiew the PADI Guide to teaching
• To prepare for your Dive Theory exam the best way is to go back over your PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and doing the questions in the PADI Diving Knowledge workbook as well as having a run over the knowledge reviews from you student level courses. Have a look at other things such as Enriched Air questions to help broaden you theory knowledge.
• Make sure that your gear is in working order with regulators serviced, SPGs working, compasses functional etc.and that you have all of the required equipment. You do not want to have a problem on the IDC due to faulty gear.
• Practice your 20 skill circuit from the DIvemaster course to get your skills better and towards demonstration quality.
• GAIN EXPERIENCE. Try and work as much as you can as a Divemaster assisting PADI Instructors to teach courses. We provide this option by doing an internship here with us before your IDC. For details of the internship click here.
• Take the IDC Preparation Course.
What is the IDC Prep Course?
This course does exactly what is says on the tin.
It pre-assesses and prepares you for the PADI IDC. It is really worthwhile doing to make sure that you are actually ready to begin an IDC by running over theory, and dive skills, as well as a quick introduction to the PADI method of teaching.
Bear in mind that you will be reviewing with the staff the standards they expect from you on the IDC so it gives you a really good review of where you are before you go onto the IDC.
It lasts two and a half days with Classroom, Confined water and Open Water reviews and workshops on student control. There are also reviews of Rescue confined skills especially Exercise 7 (Unresponsive Diver at the surface) which is a part of the IE.
The course is conducted immediately prior to the IDC.
PADI IDC Required Materials
Instructor Manual, Paper or Digital version
PADI Guide to Teaching
Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Outline
Project Aware Specialty Outline
Aware Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Outline
Open Water Diver Quizzes & Exams Booklet
Rescue Diver Final Exams Booklet
Divemaster Final Exams Booklet
Cue Cards Open Water
Cue Cards Confined Water
Cue Cards Adventures in Diving
Cue Cards Rescue Diver
Discover Scuba Diving
Confined Water Preparation Slate
Open Water Training Dive Lesson Planning Slate
Please bring the following PADI materials from your Open Water, AOW, Rescue and DM courses (required for the IDC)
Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
PADI Open Water Manual (incl. RDP Table)
PADI Adventures in Diving Manual
PADI Rescue Diver Manual
PADI Divemaster Manual
Diving Knowledge Workbook
Other Recommended Materials
PADI IDC Recommended Materials
Business of Diving
The Law and the Diving Professional
Best of the Undersea Journal
Children and Scuba Diving Resource Guide
Open Water Prescriptive Lesson Guides
Rescue Diver Prescriptive Lesson Guides
Divemaster Course Lesson Guides
Skill Evaluation Slate- PADI Skill Circuit
AWARE-Our World, Our Water Manual
AWARE Coral Reef Conservation Lesson Guides
Required Scuba Gear
Regulator with Alternate Air Source and Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPG)
Appropriate exposure suit
Recommended Scuba Gear
Pocket Mask (You will need this for Recue Exercise #7 and to teach the PADI Rescue course)
Length of Rope (For demonstration of knot tying)